Thursday, May 1, 2008

Abbie our Avid Reader!

This is totally a brag blog today.... Abbie loves to read! Almost anybody who knows her, knows she loves to settle down with a good book & hang out either on the couch or snuggled up in her bed. Right now her current favorites are any mystery (A to Z Mystery books, Bailey School Kids, etc) or books about twins (she has really gotten into the Sweet Valley Twins series -- do you remember those? and also the Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen books). Matt & are trying to talk her into reading the Nancy Drew mystery books right now... we think she'll really like those!
Anyway, for the month of March, the girl's school had a read-a-thon. They were giving out prizes to the top 3 students who brought in the most donations & also the top 3 readers (most minutes read) in the ENTIRE school. So, here's where the brag comes in......Abbie read 4350 minutes in March...that's over 72 hrs (outside of school) reading! She was THRILLED and so were we!! We found out a few weeks ago that Abbie was indeed one of 3rd highest readers in the WHOLE school...she placed 3rd! (The 1st & 2nd place readers were both 5th graders.) I think what makes me happy about all of this, is just seeing how excited Abbie gets about reading. If she was still reading Dick & Jane books, that would be okay too....I just want to instill in my kids a sense of enjoyment from reading...something I didn't develop for myself until a lot later! At the same time, I can't take all the credit for her love of reading...if anybody knows her Daddy, then it's easy to guess where it came from! :)
So...that's my brag...and here's a cute picture of Abbie reading away on the couch (she couldn't stop giggling when she discovered I was gonna take her picture...LOL)!

6 comments:

Rochelle

oh. my. goodness. that picture is too cute! I miss my abbie girl! Good job reading so much! I'm glad Matt passed that onto his kids.

It's Beautiful Here

That is great about her reading, I think we would all LOVE for our kids to get that kind of enjoyment from reading and at such a young age.

King J, Queen M, Princess E and Princess M

Way to go Abbs! I wish I enjoyed reading more.

Anna....of Anna's Quilting Designs

Whoa baby! I am so proud of you, Abba Dabba!!! I just wish I could read and STAY AWAKE!!! Thanks for sharing with me on the phone the other day about it....

Amy

Great job Abbie! Emma loves the Nancy Drew books, and just discovered Mary Kate & Ashley books too. Her favorite so far has been the "Emily Windsnap" series about a mermaid I think...

Karyn

I love it! She's totally a little Matt. I'm also excited you finally updated your blog! I almost gave up on you :)