Sunday, May 11, 2008

Dandelions

I've never been fond of dandelions.
I've always thought that they were a weed and in need of getting rid of. How many nice lawns do you look at & see dandelions....um, none! Some of our neighbor's have a lot...like a whole backyard (unfenced, so you see them all) full. Another neighbor has quite a collection of them in their front yard. In our yard...they are growing in full force too. Over the past few weeks, Matt & I have been trying several different methods of "killing" them. I wouldn't say our lawn looks horrible, but the dandelions definitely doesn't make it the nicest yard on the block, either. Even last week, I was even grumbling to my mom about all the dandelions & what I could do to get rid of them.
Then, on Wednesday, that all changed. Dandelions make me happy, especially when a 3 year old boy(namely Parker), picks a few dandelions & brings them to me...handing them to me with a huge smile on his face, accompanied by a big hug and an "I love you, Mom!" How could one not love dandelions?
Frankly, I don't remember giving my mom dandelions as a kid (hopefully I did!) and I really don't remember making dandelions necklaces for myself or anybody else....but, now, every time I look out into our front yard, I smile at the dandelions that I see. Now, don't go thinking that I'll stop all efforts to help them disappear. But, for now, dandelions remind me of the love that my little boy has for me. They remind me of how grateful I am to be a mother. And, when Parks handed me those few dandelions, I knew that he loved me, regardless of my insecurities, faults & occasional (ok, more than occasional) failings of a mother. He (and all my kids) love me for me. And, I love them! I'm the luckiest girl in the world because I have 4 beautiful kids that call me "mommy" and I get to look into their darling blue eyes & know that they are mine!
Bring on the dandelions!

2 comments:

Rochelle

Such a cute post! My kids have yet to give me dandelions... so I don't share the same love that you do! They just like to blow the ones that haven't blossomed yet!

You are such an amazing mother. I'm so lucky to have such an incredible example to follow.

Happy Mother's Day!

Karyn

I can just picture Parks handing you his collection of dandelions and telling you how much he loves you. How precious!