Saturday, March 19, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

We love to celebrate St. Patrick's Day at our house!! My great grandma Isabella was born and raised in Newtown Ards, Ireland. I love that I have Irish ancestors & I love making this day fun for my kids!!! On St. Patty's Day, we woke up to 'gold' left on the table and counter along with some balloons left by a sneaky leprechaun...


For breakfast, we had key lime yogurt & toast with green sugar sprinkles on top!! Then we went to work getting everybody ready!...we had green shirts, green hair paint and ribbons for girls & Irish tattoos!....



For dinner, I thought about doing a traditional Irish dinner (corned beef & cabbage), but I didn't think the kids would go for it, so instead, I went about making green food....

We had meatloaf (NOT green...gross!), green mashed potatoes, green jello with cool whip, green beans, and green kool-aid....a big hit all around!


During the day, I had also dipped pretzels in come green candy melts to have dessert...the kids loved it!!

We had a fabulous day...and hope you did too!! :)

5 comments:

King J, Queen M, Princess E and Princess M

So fun. I bet your kids loved it. We are boring and didn't do a thing but wear green. I guess I do so much for other holidays that I just took one off. :)

Rochelle

I should have called you for green ideas! You are my hero. I love you.

Suzanne

That is fabulous! I love the shamrock cheeks! You are truly amazing.

Anna....of Anna's Quilting Designs

I loved it! I didn't realize until this year that if we go back two generations on the Hamilton side, EVERYONE from there back is from Ireland too. So your kids get a double whammy! Have Matt follow the top Hamilton line out. It's amazing! It goes back to the year 1230. I just looked at it and there are Dukes and Princesses and all kinds of cool people!

Emily

Love all your fun green stuff! I think those tattoos are especially cute. I've always wanted to do green food, but Jon finds the whole idea kind of gross... Not if the food is naturally green, but green mashed potatoes... not so much. :D Looks like you had a great holiday!